Sunday, 9 December 2012

Family pic

Daddy went to the jungle
and hunted a snake.
He climbed high mountains,
he loved pretty exotic girls.
But one day he stopped being young,
and he forgot the snake
and the jungle
and the mountains.
His mind became asphalt,
and he started wearing smart suits.
At each dinner he talked about
him being a hero
but my mom said to him:
Shut up, shut up, you have said that a million times,
please, eat, please, drink, please focus
on this or that bill.
Please focus on the girl's school.
Yes. I was the girl.

Mum thought she was special.
And really she was.
She was pretty and she dreamed
about saving people, saving the world, fighting against hunger.
But one day she stopped being young,
and she forgot the people,
and the world,
and the hunger.
Her mind became a soft quilt,
and she started being sad.
At each dinner she talked about
her being a hero
but my dad said to her:
Shut up, shut up, you have said that a million times,
please, I want more meat, please, where is the ketchup.
Please focus on the girl's strange behavior.
Yes. I was the girl.

Now I'm young.
And I went to the jungle.
And I thought I was special.
And I hunted snakes.
And I thought I was pretty enough.
And the day that I will not be young anymore
is close.
Like the winter.
And my womb becomes hot
when I smell the coffee that he takes every morning.
And I see him, so smart, so cute, wearing these perfect suits.
Then I do stupid things.
Like come back to Africa.
And take the car.
And go fast, go fast, more, more,
trying to die young.

Because Daddy, now you are getting old, and you are sad, and you are so far from Africa. Because you chose the easy life.

Because Mom, now you are getting old, and you are sad, and you are so far from saving the world. Because you chose the easy life.

Because you both, were brave enough to say stop and give me life.

Because I can't be brave. Because I can't stop being selfish. Because I prefer to live pretending be strong, when the truth is that I'm fleeing all the time.

2 comments:

  1. Vive.
    Ama.
    Sueña.
    Cura.
    Escribe.
    Ríe.
    Disfruta.


    No son imperativos; ni siquiera consejos; quizá deseos; quizá tú.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pues yo creo que eres valiente. Más de lo que puedes, a veces. Nada de egoísmo, nada de huidas... Sólo tú, Eme.


    M.

    ReplyDelete